Monday 27 October 2014

Three Days, Three Duo's Part 1

(featuring a somewhat lengthy, yet significant, introduction)

 





Since my review of "Deap Valley" I feel my listenership of female duo bands has been long neglected. Hell, there's a lack of an overall female presence in the indie band industry, but that's not what I'm here to talk about -I've spent too many Tuesday break 1's in my secondary school's "feminist society" nibbling on complimentary chocolate bourbons debating on gender inequality-  but if I've learned anything in my transition from, well, being fifteen to being sixteen (not a dramatic transition but I couldn't quite say adulthood can I?) It's that, and I quote metalcore band Bring Me The Horizon's frontman Oli Sykes in a rather angry song, "If you really believe in the words that you preach, get off your screens and on to the streets." 
So this is me getting on to the streets -metaphorically speaking- and actually doing something instead of complaining about it. 

I'm not really getting off my screen though and, um, to be honest I'm not really making any significant change to the acknowledgement of women in the indie/alternative genre.


Just forget I used that quote in the first place. BUT -and more to the point- I will strive to have more female artists featured on this blog. And by more I mean to the point that the amount of female acts are somewhat at level with the amount of male, because that is what gender equality is, isn't it? I won't force it though because, of course, I will judge a band and decide to review them based off their musical talent not what is or isn't dangling between their legs as, again, that's what gender equality truly is about. But I know there's just as many women making beautiful music in the scene as there are men.

Once again I find myself rambling, but even though I may not be noted as one of the ruthless feminists who pushed for more female bands to be recognised (because I'm really not) with me enlightening my dear readers (you) to underground female talent, you will then go on to listen to their music, tell your friends, who will then tell their friends and download their music and next thing you know they're signed to a big record label and forced by management to sexualise their image for sales purposes. Oh I do love playing my role in feminism.

From this rather self explanatory post title, I'm sure you've gathered what I intend to post for the next three days; So without further ado here are the first of three brilliant female duos you should definitely have a listen to.
HONEYBLOOD.
Honeyblood are an energetic pair from none other than Glasgow, Scotland. The girls have the simplistic yet very effective setup of drummer/backing vocals, guitarist/lead vocals that I evidently seem to fall in love with hence the same set up with recently reviewed duo bands Surf Curse and Deap Valley. 

There's something about the pair not only in their song writing and catchy "grunge pop" -their genre according to BBC introducing- riffs but in their delightful personalities that not only makes them so captivating, but in fact very very likable. 


The fact they're about to go on NME's New Breed Tour with Superfood -another B-Town Band I intend on blogging about- and they've got Radio 1's Big Weekend under their belts indicates there's nothing but high hopes for these two. Do check them out in action with these "behind the scenes" / "life on tour" type videos that I've attached, that I normally don't do but I just really like their accents.



No comments:

Post a Comment