Tuesday 28 October 2014

Three Days, Three Duo's Part II






Well hello there dear reader and welcome to the second installment in my three piece review on two piece girl bands. My aim has been more or less straight forward and much more thoroughly explained in part one, but with the alternative music scene having a long term history of male domination when there are currently a wide range of brilliant yet painfully underrated female artists out there, it's only fair that I share them with you all so they can get the appreciation they rightfully deserve.

Today I bring to you two Californian ladies with some serious lyrical backbone and compelling harmonic ideas. They go by the name of Girlpool. 

Girlpool identify with the Lo-Fi genre with elements of punk -according to their bandcamp, which you should definitely have a look through if you click here-.



The video above was produced by 'Stumble on Tapes" an indie videozine that showcases the budding talent of LA and funnily enough the people who brought me to Surf Curse (who seems to be popping up in all my reviews these days.) Despite their unplugged set up of an acoustic bass and guitar, their eerie vocals, slight on/off beat change of pace along with the very ingenious lyrics gives the video and band a gritty yet witty feel.

I do, however, somewhat prefer them plugged in as their lyricism are already so prominently good, but when amped up, their instrumental skills are much better shown and their piercing vocals enhanced. I suppose I like that because it makes the songs,well, rather dancable -I'm making up these words up as I go along, bare no notice. Have a listen to these two tracks off their self titled EP.





The girls have just finished their U.S east coast tour with, yes, another badass female duo SLUTEVER, who are ever so slightly more punk but just as audacious. They do deserve a full review, which I may get to one day but for now so you and I aren't bombarded with these musical babes, I'll link you with a few of their songs so you can check them out for yourself. Enjoy.










No comments:

Post a Comment