Wednesday 15 October 2014

Lo-Fi Love




It's been a few years since the revival of Lo-Fi indie and the thrifstore-mongrel image British B-Town bands like Peace, Swim Deep and Jaws influenced our tumblr dashboards. Alas, the moment "Disposable Grunge" was officially a thing I forced oneself to run far far away from that scene.

But then along came WAVVES, and like a punctured paddle-boat amongst the River Thames I found myself once again sinking into the dirty depths of this culture.

It started with a simple purchase of some Doc Martins -next thing you know I had pastel pink hair, a Harrington Jacket and  ripped denim pockets full of negatives from my disposable camera. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed falling in love with this side of the indie music scene, and at least Wavves where a bit more "Surf Rock" and well...American. It was nice - a splendid change to the brummie accents that had once filled up my "recently played" playlist.

Then I wanted more. These bands had been in the scene for years and were no longer the supporting act's supporting act. So who's next then? Well I think I've found them.

American? Check. Full of adolescent rage? Check. Aesthetic like they've just walked out of the good side of an Oxfam charity sale? CheckCheckCheck.


Ladies and gentlemen I present to you SURF CURSE.

Surf Curse are an Indie/Alt band hailing from Nevada, USA. Of course being a surf rock, lo-fi band from the states, it's inevitable they'll be in endless comparison with wavves, however, their melodic motifs and lyrical ideas are not only fresh and original, but extremely catchy.

The duo released their EP "SadBoys" -Yung Lean inspired?- on cassette which is unfortunately sold out at the moment but worth
the listen if you just click on the video attached.


A few tracks of their recent album "Buds" sounds like a soundtrack to a Diablo Cody film - which I'm in no way at complaint about. CLICK HERE TO GIVE IT A LISTEN


Needless to say they've gathered a large online following in the short amount of time since they've debuted so hit them up before their small shows around the US and signing to BigJoy records turns into to $100 setlists and over seas sellout gigs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment